Friday, July 16, 2010

June 22nd, 2010



Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky Russia, A tower Crane collapsed during the dismantling killing three crane erectors and injuring the crane operator. The crane was on a cross base but the crane superstructure managed to rip away from the mast bending and destroying the mast. 


This article notes "refused Hydraulics". Looking at the video from this page it isn't clear as to whether or not the crane was a climber or not. There is no climber on the mast. When I watch the video I see blue and what appear to be platforms with the wreckage. The damage, the noting of hydraulics, and the platforms near the turntable lead me to believe that they over extended the climber for one reason or another. Many climbers don't leave a lot of margin for error. If the person operating it weren't paying attention or the valve stuck, this could be the result. I've never heard of a valve sticking on a climber, but I suppose anything is possible.  

No comments: